Dev Harlan is a multidisciplinary artist whose practice combines the physical and the virtual with the use of sculpture, light and projection. As a self educated Artist and Designer, his work is rooted in personal exploration and self initiated practices.
At once tangible and ephemeral, the work eschews categorical delineations. While best understood directly and perceptually, Harlan often works with uncomplicated geometries and a lucid logic that can be known non-empirically. Superimposing light and pattern via video projection, a visceral interplay between static and dynamic forms produce an all at once familiar and as yet uncharted visual simultaneity.
Dev has exhibited, screened and lectured internationally. Straddling both art and design disciplines, Dev's work has found it's home in private commissions as well as high profile exhibits like Y-3's NY/Spring 2013 runway show. Recent articles have appeared in Details and Blackbook magazine as well as numerous online publications like Architect's News, Creator's Project and Juxtapoz. Recent exhibitions include Christopher Henry Gallery, Whitebox Gallery, Rouge 58, Scope Miami, and Scope NY Cinema series.
Dev is a native Californian who currently lives and works in New York.
- 2012-09-20 “Eon Surf”, Solo exhibition, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2012-03 “Sustainable Light Festival, Marina Bay”, Public exhibition, Singapore
- 2011-05-13 “The Astral Flight Hangar”, Solo exhibition, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2011-05-13 “Suffolk Deluxe Electric Bicycle”, (Collaboration w/ OLEK) LMCC Spring Open Studios
- 2011-05-07 “Star Geode I”, Public exhibition, “Festival of New Ideas for the New City / FlashLight”
- 2011-03-05 “Infinity Landing”, Solo Exhibition, Rouge 58 Gallery, Brooklyn NY.
- 2010-12 “Pyramid IV”, Christopher Henry Gallery @ Scope Art Fair, Art Basel Miami FL
- 2010-10 “Pyramid III”, Vimeo World Popup Gallery, Vimeo Film Fest, NY
- 2010-07 “Any Colour You Like” Installation, “T-MINUS20” Group Show, Christopher Henry Gallery, NY
- 2010-05 “Pyramid II” Installation, Ouroboros Showcase, WhiteBox Gallery, NY
- 2009-07 “Faune+Faust” Installation (Pyramid I), Bushwick Market Fair, Brooklyn NY
Selected Film Screenings
- 2009-03 “In Order To Dance” Screening, Scope Cinema Program, Scope Art Fair, NY
- 2009-06 “In My Room” 4 Channel Screening, “Cube Considered” @ Monkey Town, Brooklyn NY
- 2008-05 “Lovebirds” Screening, Stuttgart Festival of Animated Film, (Bitfilm Awards Nominee), Stuttgart Germany
- 2008-02 Live A/V Performance, Monkeytown, Brooklyn NY
- 2007-08 “Lovebirds” Screening, File l Festival Hipersonica 2007 - Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 2007-03 “Lovebirds” Screening, Optronica Festival - London, UK (Screening)
- 2006-12 “Microvert 5306A” Screening, PAM Screenings, Scope Fair – Art Basel Miami, FL
- 2006-11 “Microvert 5306A” Screening, IFC Media Lab, NY and East Coast Touring Festival
- 2006-06 “Microvert 5306A”, Screening, Sonar Festival, Barcelona, Spain
- 2005-07 “Musee Hofstadt”, Screening, New York Video Festival, Lincoln Center, NY NY
Christopher Henry Gallery
127 Elizabeth St.
New York, NY 10013